Terminate Your Sprint Contract With Out Early Termination Fee

You should have received a postcard in your mail from Sprint stating:

Notice OF Discontinuance Of FPCR, Federal E999 and Federal WLNP Surcharges: Introduction Of Sprint Mail Postcard Administrative And Regulatory Charges Effective January 1, 2008. Beginning January 1, 2008 Sprint will no longer assess the following : 1) Federal Programs Cost Recovery ($ 1.55); 2) Federal E911 ($.40) and 3) Federal Wirelsss Local Number Portability ($.15).

Beginning January 1, 2008 Sprint will asses 2 new monthly charges per line. An administrative charge of $.75 and a regulatory charge of $.20 to help defray the cost on us that other telecommunications carriers charge Sprint.

Notice Of Charges To Sprint Terms And Conditions Of Service- January 1, 2008

The terms and conditions for Sprint and Nextel have been updated, but not limited to, the following paragraphs:

These new terms and conditions are effective January 1, 2008 and are available at sprint.com or upon request.
Please carefully review these terms as they apply to any future use of service.

I did some digging and found the following on Sprint’s web site regarding the new Terms and Conditions of Service:

The Administrative Charge will be $0.75 per line per month and is assessed by Sprint to help defray various costs imposed on Sprint by other telecommunications carriers, including, but not limited to, charges imposed by local telephone companies for delivery of calls from our customers to their landline customers and for certain network facilities and services we need to purchase from them. The Administrative Charge is not a tax and is not an amount we are required to collect from you by law. The Administrative Charge, and the components used to calculate this charge, is subject to change from time to time.

So here is your chance to cancel Sprint Account with the (ETF) early termination fee since Sprint is ‘adding’ Administrative Charge that is not government mandated, they are essentially changing the Terms and Conditions of Service which you agreed to originally. This is essentially a core charge because you have no option to opt out unless you cancel the service. Keep in mind this is not an existing charge that “Sprint can change from time to time” as in your original agreement. You need to call Sprint’s retention department and prove this change has an adverse affect on you.

I attempted to cancel one of my friend’s account. The representative told me yes, I can cancel my account with out the early termination fee starting 01-01-08. He advised me to call back Sprint on 01-01-08 and request for cancellation with out the early termination fee. He warned me using or paying for service after 01-01-08 is under the new contract, period. So you have 30 days grace period. Tell the representatives at Sprint that you want to leave Sprint with out early termination fee specifically to avoid the material change in the contract.

I’m quoting Sprint’s contract if you need it for reference:

Except as provided below, if a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on you, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.

Good luck

Edwin said,

December 31, 2007 @ 4:49 pm

dude i’ve tried it but they keep saying there are no changes and deny my right to cancel my service w/o paying the ET feed. PLEASE HELP ME

seabass said,

January 2, 2008 @ 2:23 am

Can you please tell us how this works out for you? if it works out good, I will cancel soon!!

Thanks so much!

Chu Daddy said,

January 2, 2008 @ 8:30 pm

This Works!!!! Thanks!!! I have just ended my 8 yr. bid w/sorry-ass-Sprint TODAY on 1/2/08 and had the ETF eliminated!!! WOO-HOO!!!! Make it happen people, and cancel your service outlined by the info. above!!!!
I-PHONE, I-Phone, I-PHONE!!!!!!!!

JOE said,

January 20, 2008 @ 11:08 pm

I PRAISE YOU!!! I WILL GET ON THIS RIGHT AWAY!!
SPRINT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Hank said,

January 26, 2008 @ 2:27 pm

This worked like a charm. Took only ten minutes…. they do tack on a $36 charge per line but better than the $175 per line… Verizon here I come!

How to get out of your cell phone contract | Going Cellular said,

June 4, 2008 @ 12:31 pm

[…] in your power, but you should keep an eye out for it. Every once in a while, companies will make material changes to the terms and conditions of their service. For example, many of the major cell carriers upped the fee for text messaging […]

California Judge Rules Early Cell Phone Termination Fees Illegal | Savvy Wallet said,

July 31, 2008 @ 5:01 pm

[…] Terminate Your Sprint Contract With Out Early Termination Fee […]

Sprint Changing Contract Terms in January, Small Opportunity to Cancel Contract Sans ETF | TechBlogs Today said,

December 10, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

[…] cancel your service without encouraging an early termination fee (ETF).  They did it back in 2008, at the beginning of this year, and it looks like they’re going to be doing the same next […]

BDevane said,

January 3, 2010 @ 10:42 am

I just left Sprint nd I will be usig tis info to fight my excessive early termination fees. They are going up on m bill 4.99 becuse I have a flex spending acct. ad Im ot going to do automated billing.

Ali said,

January 23, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

I used this to get out of my contract. I tried to do it through chat first, but the agent said they couldn’t do cancellations through chat, so she gave me this call in info:
“We need to speak with you personally to process your cancellation request. Please call (888) 211-4727, select option 3 and option 4. A Sprint Specialist is standing by to assist you.”
I called, and after only 5 minutes on hold, I got an agent who gave me no problems, expired my contract as of today, and told me exactly how to port my number to someone else. So now there is no pressure to stick with them or leave, it is totally up to me. She didn’t offer me anything special to stay, but it was super easy to get out, with no fees at all.

Lisa said,

March 10, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Microsoft ROCKS!!! I feel so bad when people say bad things about microsoft! Apple looks like a toy, and Microsoft is the best!

sam said,

March 25, 2010 @ 4:24 am

Another way to get out of your cell phone contract with no ETF is to use a swapping service such as http://www.mobileswap.org/.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI